Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to audition?

Yes. Selection to State Music Camp is by audition because this helps to maintain a consistently high standard. Auditions also help to ensure that every camper is placed in the most appropriate ensemble (and position within a section) for them, leading to a more productive and enjoyable camp experience. 

I made a mistake on my application form. What should I do?

Send an email to explaining the problem as soon as possible.

The application date has passed. Can I still apply?

Yes, we do accept late applications. You will need to complete the on-line booking form and make the necessary payment to be placed on the waiting list. We will be in contact should a space become available. If a space does become available (or there is an existing vacancy), you will be required to complete an audition on the first morning of camp or submit an electronic version of a student's playing prior to camp. If this applies to you, we will be in touch with further details after receiving your application and payment. 

I didn't receive my application confirmation. What should I do?

  1. The email may have gone into your junk mail. Check there first.
  2. If your deposit was not paid, your application would not have been finalised.
  3. Your email address may have been entered with an error.

If there's nothing in your Junk folder, and you've paid your deposit, send an email to and we'll find you! 

I don't know what AMEB grade to list for my on the application form?

The AMEB grades listed for each orchestra provide a guide to the skill level required for that orchestra. If you are not currently undertaking AMEB exams, consult with your teacher who will be able to advise you. 

Is State Music Camp residential?

State Music Camp is non-residential. Melbourne has many accommodation options, and the camp venue is well serviced by public transport.

Do I have to bring my own instrument?  

Yes. We also recommend students insure their instruments. State Music Camp, and Scotch College will not be held liable for any damage to or loss of instruments during the camp.

What do the fees cover? 

  • Tuition 
  • Student entry to the gala concert
  • T-shirt (As T-shirts tend to be on the large size, please order accordingly)
  • DVD of the evening gala concert
  • A souvenir photo of each ensemble
  • Staff costs (conductors, tutors, managers etc)
  • Costs associated with the use of venues 

Will lunch be provided?

No. There is a small canteen operated by parent volunteers selling snack foods and drinks during break times.

I'm not from Victoria; can I still apply for State Music Camp? 

Yes, and we'd love to hear from you! Each year several interstate families join the camp.

Will I receive the music before camp starts? 

All participants will receive music during the first days of camp. Excerpts or full parts may be made available electronically to members of Bishop orchestra.

Do you offer any financial assistance? 

Occasionally State Music Camp offers financial assistance. Each request is dealt with on a confidential, case-by-case basis. Contact us for further advice.

How do I get tickets to the Friday afternoon concert? 

Admission to the Friday afternoon concerts is free. 

What if I have a query that isn't answered here?

Please email your query to